Victory College has adopted the You Can Do It! program to help students develop socially and emotionally.
We run the program from Kindergarten to Year 12 in age-appropriate ways during Pastoral Care classes and as part of the Health curriculum.
You Can Do It! focuses on developing five key areas:
- Getting Along
The program’s unique contribution is in identifying the social and emotional capabilities that all young people need to acquire in order to:
- be successful in school,
- experience wellbeing, and
- have positive relationships including making contributions to others and the community (good citizenship).
You Can Do It! (YCDI) focuses on building social, emotional, and motivational capacity of young people rather than focusing on their problems and deficits. It encourages prevention, promotion, and intervention efforts (school, home and community) in order to build the social and emotional strengths of young people.
As a strength-building approach, YCDI also seeks to build the capabilities of adults (community, school, home) associated with positive outcomes in young people, including:
- positive, caring relationships with young people
- providing for their safety
- high expectations for achievement and behaviour
- involving young people in decision-making and providing them with special responsibility
- accommodating young people’s interests
- communicating and modelling of social and emotional capabilities including values and resilience and
- a high quality academic program that provides young people with multiple opportunities for success.